Category Archives: project refurb

Can You Smell It?

“Falling Rain” – quotesgram.com

 

We had a bit of drizzle, and sprinkling on the windshield as we went to town for errands yesterday. Then we had a more serious rain late yesterday afternoon. The intermittent rain is still going today. We really need it. We’re in a drought and under a burn ban. I’m not even complaining as I stand outside in the rain waiting for the doggies to take care of things. :0)

I’m especially grateful because we have an excellent chance of a cold front with rain that MAY change to flurries this weekend! A double gift from Mother Nature for sure if we get more good rain PLUS a pretty, white Christmas with snow that will look pretty, but not cause problems on the road. The very BEST kind of snow!

__________________

Yesterday I consolidated two notebooks of low carb recipes into one, plus punched holes into a whole stack of recipes I printed from the net and put them into the notebook. Now I have all the loose recipes in one place, organized so there is hope of finding the one I’m looking for again! I have the notebook on the kitchen desk along with the most used low carb recipe books.

Today’s project is moving my warm weather clothes OUT and my cool weather clothes INTO my closet.

 

balletpumpsandroses.com

 

If I finish that, my poor little duck and hedgehog yard ornaments are awaiting possible repair after our 81 pound lab puppy, Amber, bit off beak and nose respectively. I have some pieces I retrieved from the yard, along with the critters, but I’m not sure I have enough for a full repair. Fingers crossed.

I hope that your day is productive and fun.

Leave a comment

Filed under Housekeeping - Maintenance, I'm a slob, Lewis projects, Mother Nature, Organizing/DeCluttering, project refurb

Decoration Changes & Refurbishment

oldstyle2

This is the ‘old style’ attachment method we used when we started making metal decorations for our mailbox. We simply cut a flat piece of metal and welded it onto the side of the piece after drilling a bunch of holes in it.

Since then, my husband designed a much stronger method of attachment – a square metal rod with L-shaped attachment piece welded onto it, and then attached to the decoration. He was upset that some of the decorations we put up this past year still had the ‘old style’ attachment and wanted to change them.

We had gone through the decorations, figuring out which ones we wanted to keep, replacements we wanted to make, and new pieces in the works. The turkey for Thanksgiving and the Rabbit and Egg for Easter needed the new style attachments.

My husband cut off the old style and then made new attachments and welded them onto the two pieces. The process of welding did a number on the paint of the decorations, so I’ve been trying to blend in the new attachment bar into the design on one side and refurbish the pieces as a whole.

 

newturkey1

This is the front of the refurbished Thanksgiving turkey. You have to look carefully to see the black rod sticking out to the left.

 

 

newturkeyback

This is the back, where you can see the rod going all the way across the piece. I blended it in as best I could.  I also added googly eyes to both sides this time, rather than just having the hole in a white circle.

Here’s a pic of the old piece to compare.

 

novmailbox1

The second piece was the Rabbit and the Egg for Easter.

 

newrabbitneggfront

 

My husband had a hard time welding the attachment rod to this piece. There was a LOT to try to blend in. I had fun adding Snow-Tex to his cotton tail this time.

 

newrabbitneggback

Here’s the back of the piece, with the rod blended in as well as I was able. I didn’t put Snow-Tex on this side.

2 Comments

Filed under Lewis Art, Lewis Mailbox Decorations, project refurb

Shovel Bird Refurb Project – Take 1

 

We made a shovel bird for our good friends, the Taylors, and gave it to them several years ago. Mother Nature has done a number on him, as she always does, making it necessary for some serious refurbishment. I’ve taken pics of the sweet bird BEFORE I start cleaning and repainting him.

 

sbr7

One of his googly eyes fell off, and his beak looks like it was never painted.

 

 

sbr2

Even with using rust resistant paint and then spraying on several coats of polyurethane, there are patches of rust. Of course, he’s dirty, also, having stood in the garden, weathering wind, rain, sun, and snow.

 

sbr6

 

 

sbr5

 

 

sbr4

 

 

sbr3

The first thing I did was pull the other eye off. Then I spent a long time cleaning him from top to bottom with Simple Green. Now I’ve painted the first coat of paint.

It will probably take two or three coats of paint, then I’ll use a silver pen to do the ‘feathers.’ I’ll paint on some polyurethane, rather than using just the spray, for as much protection as possible, and finally, I’ll glue new googly eyes on him.

I’ll take pics when he’s ready to go back to the Taylors.

Leave a comment

Filed under Lewis yard art, project refurb