Helen Denerley Metal Sculpture
Monthly Archives: November 2021
Last flowers of the season – we love Wave Petunias!
Filed under Gardening
A Bit of Hiking in Thailand
I had a carotid artery doppler ultrasound this morning to see the reason for the right carotid bruit my primary doc heard at my last appointment. I don’t know the results yet, but I wasn’t rushed into surgery or anything. The procedure was painless and only took about 15 minutes. I am hopeful that we can just monitor my situation or correct it with some medication, and I can continue to pretend I’m immortal. :0)
Filed under taking care of yourself
The Look of Love
Filed under love
Paintings I Wanted to Share
Filed under paintings I love
Filed under Encouragement, Favorite Quotes
Filed under Amazing Animals, Awe-Inspiring Photography
Filed under Challenges, Changes
Anne Bedel Mosaic
Filed under mosaic
Something for Which I am NOT Thankful
I hate to use this CUTE mail carrier by Shelley MacDonald to illustrate my point, but though I love the artwork, I DON’T want to personally imitate its shape…
I thought I ate quite reasonably yesterday, but I gained the weight I had lost back – again. Hrmpf! I refuse to worry about it, though. We will enjoy turkey sandwiches today, and then I have a month to be good until one or two days at Christmas.
That will have to do.
Filed under DIET!
Black Friday – Plus Other Thoughts 11-26-2021
“The earliest evidence of the phrase Black Friday originated in Philadelphia, dating back to 1961, where it was used by police to describe the heavy pedestrian and vehicular traffic that would occur on the day after Thanksgiving.” ~ Wikipedia
There is absolutely nothing that turns me off like crowds of people acting as if their life depends on the purchase of something. (I would understand it, maybe, if the fights were over food or medicine when peoples’ children were involved, but that’s it.)
The Christmas spirit to me is trying to figure out during the year what people I care about might enjoy and getting (or making) it as I think of it or find it. I store things in my art room labeled until it’s time to wrap it up or put it in a gift bag. Buying things during the year helps our finances, too. We have a lot of bills (mainly insurances) due in November and December, so we have to plan for those, limiting other expenditures as much as possible.
To show how truly weird I am, I don’t even like the idea of maniacal shopping online on Black Friday, resisting ‘herd mentality.’
I’m probably the only person on the planet who won’t be shopping today. We won’t enjoy Lunch Bunch, which is the way we enjoy our usual Friday, because the restaurant will be closed so the good people who own it and work there can enjoy two days off to be with their families.
I’m still grinning inside because 1) my husband offered to help with the meal prep yesterday, 2) remarked once during the meal and TWICE afterwards, that, “Everything was perfect and delicious.” This means a LOT since I am NOT a great cook!, and 3) he helped with the clean up after. Definitely a keeper. :0)
And the BEST is yet to come with turkey sandwiches today! Enjoy YOUR Friday – “black” or otherwise.
Filed under holidays, Pet Peeves
“Vincent’s Wife Jurga” Sculpture
“Vincent’s Wife Jurga” – tripadvisor.com
Filed under Jurga Sculpteur, sculpture
It’s just the two of us this year. It’s 36 degrees, gray, and rainy here. Great time to enjoy being warm and dry indoors. We’ll have a quiet day (hopefully), I’ll cook our turkey breast, stuffing, slice cranberry sauce and make deviled eggs for this evening.
I’m thankful this morning that our son left a message on the chat program, wishing us a happy day. I found a wonderful performance of a man playing two guitars at once masterfully and sent it to him yesterday. Maybe you would enjoy it, too. The musician’s name is Luca Stricagnoli.
Have a wonderful celebration!
Filed under holidays, Lewis yard art, music
Filed under Attitude
Agnes Herczeg Lace Art
Filed under Funny Signs - Humor, punny
Petr Vaclevek – Dubanci.cz
Filed under acorn art, Petr Vaclavek - Dubanci.cz
Thoughts on a Wednesday 11-24-2021
I’m very grateful this Wednesday-before-Thanksgiving morning.
- I’m grateful that, although my joints sound like Rice Krispies (snapping, crackling, and popping as I move), I am still able to HEAR them.
- I’m grateful that, when I finish my yoga stretches, I can get up off the floor without the use of a crane.
- I’m grateful to be married to a man who still makes me laugh, still melts my heart into a puddle, and still brings out my fighting spirit, wanting to punch him in the face at times. After 52 years, too many people live with indifference. It’s never boring here.
- I’m grateful that our son is living his dreams, but still wants to keep us close with chats and conference call programs
- I’m grateful that my 95-pound yellow lab, Amber, still wants to climb up and sit in my lap. I DO wish she would decide that when I’m on the couch, rather than typing in my office chair, however.
- I’m grateful to have a warm cat who wants to sit in my lap this time of year – though I wish she hadn’t thrown up in my chair yesterday…
- I’m grateful that I’m as young as I feel – inside – where my thoughts, fantasies, dreams, run free as a river.
- I’m grateful to be surrounded by books, music, flowers, dreams of the next veggie garden, art supplies and plans…
I hope that you have a Thanksgiving celebration tomorrow full of family, love, lots of food and laughs.
Filed under holidays, Thoughts on a ________