I finished the wall hanging last night. We’re letting it dry, and then we’ll bring it in and hang it up and see what we think. You can’t really see the 3-dimensional aspect of the moon in this picture. I hope it shows up better when the piece is up on the wall. Will take another pic later.
Tag Archives: sun/moon metal wall hanging
I finished the basic color blocking yesterday and then started on the LOTS of shading needed on the piece. The size is about 3 feet across by 2+ feet from top to bottom.
Here it is with the moon attached. I did a lot more shading this afternoon, but will wait until tomorrow to take more pictures.
I took Amber out to the shop with me, but she was finding a LOT to eat that she shouldn’t. I spent more time taking things out of her mouth and trying to find ‘safe’ things she could chew on, but she wouldn’t settle. I ended up taking her back to the porch and then going back out to do some work on the piece.
I have no confidence that what I’m doing is going to work. I’ll just keep on keepin’ on and hope for the best.
This is the latest piece we’re trying to make in the shop.
My husband has done his part, cutting out the pieces (he cut the moon out separately so that it could be mounted above the rest, making a bit of a 3-D effect), and adding a hanger.
Now it’s my turn. I’m intimidated by this one, because of all the shading. I’m concentrating on doing just the color blocking right now, and then will take a lot of time trying to study the piece on my computer for the intricate shading.
I just hope I can do a reasonable job on it.
My husband found this design on the net and we both liked it. I found the source, but not the name of the artist. We both liked it a lot and we’re in the process of trying to make it.
My husband used the CNC table and the computerized torch to cut this out. The piece is about 3-1/2 feet wide and about 2 feet from top to bottom. The piece is so much work for the torch that it overheated. We had to stop the cutting process and wait for the torch to cool down, and then start it up again, fingers crossed it would remember where it was in the design. Thankfully, it did. My husband still ended up having to cut out parts of it by hand.
He made the blue moon separately so that we could mount it on a spacer. We’ll attach it to the main piece through the back with a screw to give the piece more of a 3-dimensional quality.
I marked the metal yesterday.
If we can get our a/c fixed today, I’ll start the painting soon.
This will be a really difficult piece to paint. There is a LOT of great shading on the piece, making the sun look 3-D, for example, and the rays look curled up and wavy. I’ll give it my best shot.
This is the first piece we’ve seen in quite a while that got us excited about cutting out and making something. If it turns out all right, we plan to hang it on the wall in our office.