As Amber calms down more, she is discovering that life is really good. She’s an exuberantly happy three-and-a-half month old, fast-growing yellow labrador retriever puppy. She’s gained 20 lbs in 5 weeks. Our vet said, ‘She’s a beautiful dog.” :0)
Every day she discovers another thing she loves. So far, she loves
- jumping into her kiddie pool several times a day, walking around the perimeter and drinking water
- squeaky toys. The purple ball in her mouth makes a delicious squeak. She loves to fetch, but wants to hoard the toy when she gets it.
- shade. Every time she finds a shady, grassy spot, she dives for it, lies down, stretches out, and rolls – in Heaven.
- sticks. She rarely completes a walk without having grabbed – and many times eaten – a stick.
- butterflies. She jumps and tries to play with them.
- cats – but they don’t like her.
- Molly – but she doesn’t like her.
- people – she wants to be with us 24/7. She is learning that the better she acts, the longer she gets to stay inside with the people.
- chewing. Though many toys are provided, she wants to chew on EVERYTHING. We have to watch her like a hawk with a rolled up newspaper, a flyswatter, and a stern, “NO!!!!” with us.
- treats. She’ll do almost anything for one. She even cheats – pretending to do her business, or peeing several times in the attempt to get more treats. She watches our hands and our pockets, alert for any chance she’ll get one.
- her crate and other safe places. She readily goes into her crate each night. We got a soft bed to put in there, plus she has a couple of soft toys for snuggling. During the day she pulls out the laundry basket that holds her toys so she can sleep between it and the wall. (Kind of like me in a restaurant. I like the wall behind me.)
Each day is a new adventure. We’re adapting to each other now and things are getting into a bit more of a pattern.