Today I’m 70.
I never thought I would live to be this old, or actually SAY it.
Even though I’m creaky a lot of mornings and I need a LOT more notes to keep things straight, I can honestly say I’ve never felt happier, with more plans for the future.
I’m a very rich woman. I have everything but money.
- I have a wonderful husband. We actually love each other after living together almost 48 years now, and still enjoy doing things together. I love sharing my life with him.
- Our son is more kind and generous (and smart) than my husband and I put together. He’s a good human being. He loves us and communicates with us on almost a daily basis, even though he’s across the world from us.
- As I told you yesterday, I have a library that’s growing all the time and a spring garden I started yesterday for the first time in our new raised bed square foot planters. I just bought more plants to add today.
- I have a room devoted to my art stuff. It doesn’t matter if I can actually create art that someone else likes. Time spent up there, playing, makes me grin.
- My husband and I make metal yard critters out of scrap metal. People come to deliver a package and leave laughing. What higher compliment could you have?
- I also have fun creating mosaics in the shop. I’m never happier than when I have projects in the works. Right now I have projects in the shop AND my art room.
- We spend time looking through images on the net, reminded of cartoon characters we’ve loved over the years, ‘fighting’ about which ones we should recreate for our mailbox decorations, THEN fighting over what colors to use…. :0)
- I’ve lived long enough to retire. I honestly don’t know now how I had time to work full time, as I did from the time I graduated from college. And, though I’m retired, I work hard on my website, Creative Artworks, and this blog. I love them both.
- I have the luxury of planning my days as I choose.
- I feel well enough to exercise, doing yoga and the elliptical now on a daily basis.
- I have a husband who encourages me to experiment in the kitchen, or – at the drop of a hat – takes me to go get a pizza.
- He’s taking us to our favorite local cafe tonight – or if the weather isn’t cooperative – tomorrow night, to celebrate by eating what we USED to eat regularly, chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, a roll, and some other veggie. PLUS, my husband will have a piece of homemade pie and I’ll have a big piece of homemade chocolate cake with chocolate icing.
- I’ve already received birthday wishes from long-time friends, who sent me birthday cards, and well wishes from friends on the Internet. I feel special today.
SO – even though I’m older than dirt now – you won’t see anyone with a bigger grin that this old lady!