I didn’t have a photo to go with Dana Carpender’s “Seriously Simply Chicken Chili” recipe, but the one above is representative.
If you’re trying to eat low-carb, I highly recommend at LEAST two recipe books by Dana Carpender : 200 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes and 300 15-Minute Low-Carb Recipes. You can find other nice ones, but between these two books, you have a wealth of healthy meals, either from the slow cooker or quick meals. She uses basic ingredients and simple techniques that have my husband wanting more – a rare thing with healthy eating!
We’ve eaten her “Seriously Simple Chicken Chili’ from the Slow Cooker book several times before, but I failed to pass this recipe on to you.
- 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 16 oz jar prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder*
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon concentrate*
- 3 oz shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 tablespoons light sour cream
- Put chicken in your slow cooker
- In a bowl, stir together the salsa, chili powder and bouillon, making sure the bouillon’s dissolved. Pour the mixture over the chicken. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low, and let it cook for 7 to 8 hours.
- When the time’s up, shred the chicken with a fork. Serve topped with the cheese and sour cream.
6 servings, each with: 263 calories, 9 grams fats, 39 grams protein, 6 grams carbohydrates, 2 grams dietary fiber, 4 grams usable carbs.
- I cut up the chicken before I put it in the crock pot. THEN, I use two forks to shred the chicken a bit before serving.
- I use 1 TEASPOON chili powder because my husband and I don’t like spicy or hot.
- I use 1 TABLESPOON chicken bouillon concentrate because we love it.
- I haven’t done it, but it seems like this would freeze well. One of these times, I’ll double the recipe and freeze half for another time.
ENJOY! Thank you, Dana Carpender!