My husband’s firm opinion is that Campbell’s Soup is the best and that no one should even try to compete. He ate his words – as well as the soup – last night! :0)
The recipe is for “Minestrone” and the source is Low Carb Recipes for Diabetics by Don Orwell.
He looks as food as medicine. He promotes what he calls Super Foods that boost immunity, promote weight loss, and slow aging. This is the first of his recipes we’ve tried, and we’re really impressed.
The Minestrone Recipe serves 8 to 10. It’s sugar fee, gluten free, dairy free, egg free, and nut free. So what’s left? Really good soup!
- 3 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup tomato sauce*
- 1/2 oz red wine (optional)
- 1 cup raw cannellini beans*
- 2 cups green beans*
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- 3 zucchinis, quartered and sliced*
- 1 tbsp. chopped oregano
- 2 tbsp. chopped basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or cumin oil
Put all ingredients in the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours
- I used a whole can of tomato sauce
- I used a CAN of cannellini beans
- I used a CAN of green beans
- I used ONE zucchini
- I went lighter on the herbs and spices
- At my husband’s request, I added some cut up roast beef (about one cup, diced)
- I added some xanthan gum thickener about half an hour before serving
I really liked this soup, but I’m much easier to please than my husband. HE liked it, too. He requested we eat some of the leftovers tonight, along with garlic bread made with our new low carb bread. He sounded surprised when he told me it was “good – really good,” and then mentioned it again when we were cleaning up. I have two large glass bowls of soup left. I’m thinking that I’ll serve one of them for us tonight and freeze the other to enjoy later.